Sunday, January 24, 2010

Murder of Crow(s)

Tragedy happened during pizza construction on Saturday night. One of the family of crows that have been here at the new house since we moved in was attacked and killed by a Northern Goshawk. We were waiting for the pizza dough to rise and I saw something flash past the window. I looked out just as the hawk landed his blow on the crow. It wasn't a killing strike, though once the hawk had his talons into his prey there was no going back. The poor crow put up a valiant effort to drive off his killer but it was to no avail. After a five minute stand-off the goshawk picked up his meal and flew off into the trees. This morning the evidence was left in the snow.

Sorry about the poor quality of this picture but we were shooting from inside the house and it was semi-dark outside. You can see the goshawk standing over the poor crow in the foreground.

Sunday afternoon the house was very quiet. Usually the crow family is buzzing around making all kinds of racket, calling to each other. We were obviously all in mourning for a fallen family member. I know that this is just nature at work and that the hawk has to eat. That's life, and I know that I just have to accept it.

The tracks in the snow are all that's left to tell of this sad story.

The crow put up quite a struggle but ultimately the goshawk won out.

5 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

Oh that's sad :-( I saw a blue jay being killed by a hawk before Christmas... the other ones seemed scared for days!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I'm just catching up on your blog, and was so sorry to read about your resident crow. I enjoy watching these clever birds. Last fall we noticed a pretty good number of crows gathering in the trees in back of our house--What a racket they were making!! The next day, we found a dead one (untouched) laying on the ground where they had been. We felt the gathering the day before had something to do with it -- But what? Only my imagination can guess...

Nakamuras on Saipan said...

I'm also a crow lover-fascinating birds if you study them. I'm sure you feel the loss..I would. But yes, this is the circle of life.

Gill - That British Woman said...

gosh that's the second sad story today. One guy left his chicken coop unlocked and a fox got in and killed all his chickens......

Gill

Sisters of the Blog said...

Sad.

One job i had was very close to home, so i would often go home for lunch. As i sat eating my sandwich and looking outside, i saw a hawk attack a blackbird. I was shocked at the speed. Mercifully, it was a death blow, so the blackbird didn't suffer long and though it's nature at work, it left me a bit shaken.

megan